A report just released by the non profit organization National Insurance Crime Bureau stated that Copper Theft is up 81%. The report released today tagged 25,083 metal related insurance claims between January 1st, 2009 through December 31st, 2011. Compare that to the two year period between 2006 and 2008 which only listed 13,861 claims and you my friend have an 81% increase.
According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau if you are the proud owner of one of these types of locations :
• Construction Projects - theft of copper plumbing, wiring, generators .
• Vacant Buildings - theft of copper wiring ,plumbing, and air conditioners.
• Communications Towers - theft of copper wiring , busbars, and cables.
• Electrical Sub-stations - theft of copper grounding cables and bars.
• Foreclosed Properties - theft of copper wires, sprinkler systems , cooling systems and yes plumbing!
In these States:
1) Ohio (2,398)
2) Texas (2,023)
3) Georgia (1,481)
4) California (1,348)
5) Illinois (1,284)
Then make sure to be extra careful with your copper assets.
Further, the NICB offers information on the top five Core Based Statistical Areas generating the most metal theft claims:
Areas of dubious mention:
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL (963)
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ (921)
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA (823)
Dallas-Ft. Worth-Arlington, TX (674)
Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI (587).
We can personally attest as we had a claim whereby the thieves took two cooling units off the roof of a Long Island strip mall just to steal the copper coils. They ruined $40,000 worth of equipment for several thousand dollars worth of cooper. When police arrived at the scene they simply shook their head and muttered, “another one”.